This Pineapple Chicken is so simple to make (the sauce is made in a blender), yet the flavors are complex and satisfying. The chicken soaks up the sweet, savory, tangy sauce which is offset by lightly cooked red pepper and fresh green onion. It is perfect served over rice or cauliflower rice.
My 11-year old devoured this. After his first few bites he was already asking if he could have thirds! My 7-year old tried it, but though she loves pineapple, chicken, rice and red peppers, she apparently doesn’t like them together. Sigh. She ate a can of sardines instead, believe it or not.
I was really pleased with how it turned out and will be making it again. Hope you love it too!
Slow-Cooker Pineapple Chicken (Paleo, Whole30)
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
Total time 3 hours, 50 minutes
3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1.5 cups pineapple juice
2 inch segment of ginger, rough chopped
3 tablespoons coconut aminos (tamari if not paleo, Whole30)
1/3 cup pitted dates, chopped
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste
1. Place chicken in the slow cooker.
2. To make the sauce, puree in a blender the pineapple juice, ginger, coconut aminos, dates, salt and pepper. Pour it over the chicken and stir in the minced garlic.
3. Cook on low for 3 hours or until chicken is done.
4. Mix the arrowroot into 1/4 cup water to make a slurry and add it to the slow cooker. Add the pepper, green onions and pineapple.
5. Cook in crock pot on low for 30 additional minutes or until the sauce thickens. It should be on a low simmer.
6. Enjoy! I like it with topped with fresh green onion and a few shakes of crushed red pepper.
By: Natalia Gill
Adapted from: https://damndelicious.net/2016/03/14/slow-cooker-pineapple-chicken/