This Pineapple Chicken is so simple to make (the sauce is made in a blender), yet the flavors are complex and satisfying. The chicken soaks up the sweet, savory, tangy sauce which is offset by lightly cooked red pepper and fresh green onion. It is perfect served over cauliflower rice (or short-grain sushi rice for the kids).
This meal marked the end of the first Whole30 adventure for my husband and me. I’ll be writing more about that soon. Usually our meals were more savory, but once in a while it was a nice break to have a “sweet element” as my kids say (they’ve seen Chopped a few too many times).
My 11-year old devoured this. After his first few bites he was already asking if he could have thirds! My 7-year old tried it, but though she loves pineapple, chicken, rice and red peppers, she apparently doesn’t like them together. Sigh. She ate a can of sardines instead, believe it or not.
I was really pleased with how it turned out and will be making it again. Hope you love it too!
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1.5 cups pineapple juice
- 2 inch segment of ginger, rough chopped
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos (tamari if not paleo, Whole30)
- ⅓ cup pitted dates, chopped
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot (cornstarch if not paleo, Whole30
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, diced (plus more for a garnish)
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, chopped (or canned)
- Place chicken in the slow cooker.
- To make the sauce, puree in a blender the pineapple juice, ginger, coconut aminos, dates, salt and pepper. Pour it over the chicken and stir in the minced garlic.
- Cook on low for 3 hours or until chicken is done.
- Mix the arrowroot into ¼ cup water to make a slurry and add it to the slow cooker. Add the pepper, green onions and pineapple. Cook in crock pot on low for 30 additional minutes or until the sauce thickens. It should be on a low simmer.
- I like it with topped with fresh green onion and a few shakes of crushed red pepper.
Adapted from: https://damndelicious.net/2016/03/14/slow-cooker-pineapple-chicken/