Rich, buttery and lightly salted this 5-minute grain free crust is the perfect contrast to fruity fillings (such as this lovely paleo strawberry-rhubarb), bringing them to a whole new level. It would also be a fabulous base for a chocolate pie or any cream-based filling.
Here you can use any variety of nuts, but my favorite is a mix of pecans and almonds. I usually buy nuts raw, then soak them overnight and dehydrate them using this method. It sounds like a lot of work, but I actually do it as an afterthought. You know, throw in a load of laundry, throw your nuts in some salty water. Easy.
I’ve found that pre-soaked nuts are much easier on my digestion and taste great! Soaking maximizes nutrient absorption too.
In fact, I love soaked, dehydrated pecans so much I put them into mason jars and handed them out as Christmas gifts last year.
But even if you don’t pre-soak your nuts, you will love this crust!
- 2 cups nuts (my favorite combo is 1.5 cups pecans and .5 cups almonds)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, ghee or butter
- a good pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Place nuts in the food processor and process til very crumbly (but before they start becoming nut butter!)
- Add the salt and the coconut oil, ghee or butter and process til evenly incorporated.
- Spoon into a pie pan and spread out evenly. Bake for 10 minutes.
- If your filling is "no bake" let the crust cool, then fill.
- If your filling needs to be baked go ahead and pour it in and bake as usual, watching the edges to make sure exposed crust doesn't burn.