I also like this topped with cranberry sauce which we often have in the fridge this time of year.
PUMPKIN PIE FRENCH TOAST
6 slices of bread (I use sprouted, you may have enough batter for 1-2 more slices)
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
3/4 cup milk of choice
1/4 t cinnamon (couple of dashes)
1/8 t nutmeg
1 dash salt
1 T maple syrup (plus more for serving)
ghee or butter for pan-frying (or coconut oil for dairy free)
1. Set out bread slices in a single layer to dry out overnight (if you forget, just toast them lightly in the morning).
2. Whisk together remaining ingredients, except for ghee/butter (I like to do this the night before).
3. Heat pan (I use a cast iron skillet) over medium heat. Melt the butter in the pan.
4. Dip dried out toast slices in the dipping liquid. Let them hang out a bit so they are pretty saturated (sometimes I help it along by poking them with a fork while they are immersed.)
5. Cook in the pan until they are golden brown (about 1-2 minutes on each side).